Made on Monday to sustain you for the rest of the week. A great way to break your fast or pick yourself up in the afternoon with a warm cup of herbal tea. It’s old news now that staying hydrated & eating to promote regular bowel movements keeps you glowing from within. These small but mighty muffins are one of my beauty secrets and for a lack of an appropriate euphemism here, they really just glide right through you. There, I said it! I’m not alone here, either! These have been tried and tested by my innermost circle and I’m happy to report that I’ve had happy poopers all round. I’ve mentioned here before, that cooking for yourself is the greatest act of self love and I encourage you all to look at cooking as an extension of your beauty routine! While I can hardly call throwing these ingredients together ‘baking/cooking’, this baked good is the perfect example of self love for the following reasons….
Packed with brain powering nutrients like vitamin E & Omega 3s from the almonds, walnuts, hemp & chia. Essential minerals from the seeds & local raw honey. Oats supply good soluble fibre (poop promoters) and energy. Coconut oil, really good healthy fats and energy. Memory boosting choline, serotonin boosting tryptophan & protein from organic eggs. All the antioxidants and vitamins A & C from the berries. The hint of cinnamon helps regulate blood sugar levels snd lemon zest to uplift the spirits and add a note of luxury!
I’m also going to say that these are Gluten Free AF & MOIST AF and like the nipple of 2012, I’d like to officially free this word from the depths of shame unnecessarily attached to it.
I’m not sorry for what I’ve said but I do apologize for going slightly off topic there, so back to BIZ.
½ cups rolled oats, blended to a fine flour in a nutribullet or blender of choice.
1 cup ground almonds
½ cup chopped walnuts/pecans/any-nut
½ cup raisins
2 tablespoons chia seed
1 tablespoon hemp seed
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
WET a.k.a MOIST MAKERS:
5 ½ tablespoons coconut oil
¼ cup raw honey
Zest of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 organic eggs + 1 white
1 cup yogurt of choice (I use bulgarian but you could even use coconut yogurt here for a dairy free option)
1 cup blueberries/raspberries/chopped necatrines
2 medium, ripe bananas, mashed
1. Preheat your oven to 180C.
2. Line a cupcake tray with paper liners or use coconut oil to grease the moulds for easy removal after baking. I have found that liners work best with this recipe and help keep the muffins MOIST.
3. In a saucepan, melt the coconut oil, honey, lemon zest and cinnamon until syrup-like consistency. Allow to cool while you prep the rest.
4. In a large bowl, add all the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
5. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs and yogurt together.
6. Fold the egg & yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients, followed by the mashed bananas & blueberries. Stir through the coconut oil & honey mixture until well combined.
7. Using a dessert spoon, fill the cupcake moulds 2/3rds full, allowing for some room to rise during baking. If you wish, garnish each unbaked muffin with a walnut or sea salt flakes.
8. Bake in the oven until golden brown and puffed up - my oven takes around 15 minutes. But all ovens vary! The best way to know when they are done is by sight (pull one muffin out of the mould and the underside should be golden brown) or smell (your house will be filled with the most satisfying aroma!)
9. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Remove the individual muffins and place on a cooling rack until completely cooled. Store in an airtight container and enjoy well into the week ahead.
Have the Best week!